Saturday, October 20, 2012

10-Minute Fried Rice

There are so many different ways to make fried rice. This is just a guideline of how to cook my family's version of an Asian classic. When I would ask the elders or cooks in the family for recipes, I always remember getting vague measurement and even sometimes ingredients- and honestly I am starting to believe that, this method works very nicely with Asian cuisine. Mostly this dish is based off of personal preference. So feel free to experiment as you wish:

Ingredients:

  • Day old rice (it can be fresh rice but to get a more authentic taste you need day old)
  • sesame oil
  • frozen (or fresh) veggies of your choice (I use frozen medley of carrots peas corn and green beans)
  • Spam/ham/tofu/meat/seafood of choice (we pick based on main course)
  • scallions
  • eggs (well beaten)
  • soy sauce
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic 
  1. In a large wok or frying pan (chicken frying pan works well too) on med-high heat add a few tablespoons of oil. Enough to fry your rice.
  2. Now add your meat. (If you are using beef, pork, or chicken make sure it is cooked all the way through if you like well done meat, and if you want rare make sure it is mostly cooked through.)
  3. Season with Soy sauce (or any oriental sauce of your choosing), salt and pepper, garlic and some scallions. 
  4. Now add your veggies and a tad more oil and Soy and spices (if you prefer). 
  5. Push rice mixture to one side of the pan and pour the beaten egg mixture in. Allow eggs to scramble and then stir into rice mixture (Sometimes when I make a large batch of Fried Rice I pre-scramble my eggs in a frying pan until they are almost done and then when its time I just throw in the wok and go- so do whatever is easiest for you)
  6. Taste the mixture- In my kitchen this is always the best step. I do most of my recipes off of 4 senses- taste, smell, sight, and feel. Taste is always the most important and the most fun. 
    1. if you think it needs it... Add it. Fried Rice is like a pot luck of leftovers- anything goes.
  7. Now remove from the stove, garnish with scallions and serve!
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment