Saturday, October 20, 2012

Momma's Dark Chocolate Rum Cake


Momma's Dark Chocolate Rum Cake:

So a big thanks to my Momma, for getting me the Kitchen-Aid Pro Stand up Mixer for my birthday, I now can do all my mixing, baking, and cooking like a pro!

This cake is very similar to my other  Momma's Chocolate Cake only with Rum and different frosting. Ever since I really began to bake (about 1 year ago) I have been on the search for my favorite Chocolate go to cake. I honestly just want a cake that all my kids associate with birthday's and holiday's and well any other special events. To be quite frank most of my ambitious projects in the kitchen come from the hope and drive that my kid(s) will eventually come back home and ask me, "hey mom, can you make ____, it's my favorite." I know it sounds crazy but if my job is going to be a homemaker, I want to be not just their favorite, but the best homemaker I can be.

I have so far revised this recipe five times, the frosting is the main change. One main problem is that I love baking, love chocolate, but hate frosting. So finding a even compromise between the frosting lovers and haters in this household has become a battle I am determined to figure out.  And I believe that I have come the closest to date. 

Here is what you will need: 

Cake: (3 layer 9 inch pan)
  • 3 Cups of Sugar
  • 2 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 1/8 cup Dark Cocoa
  • 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp/ salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tsp. vanilla extract
    • split if you want to add flavor, for example 2 tsp. vanilla 1 tsp. rum or chocolate or ___ extract
  • 1 1/2 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour 3- 9 inch pans. Mix together all dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, and salt) in a large bowl . Now add all wet ingredients while mixing on medium speed. Once combined mix on medium for 2 minutes. Lastly stir in boiling water- this will make the batter extremely thin and liquidy. Now pour batter into prepared pans and place in oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pan for ten minutes then transfer to cooling rack. Frost once cakes have completely cooled down.


Frosting:
  • 4 1/2 cups Confectioners Sugar
  • 2 1/4 cup Dark Cocoa
  • 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • pinch of salt
Place all ingredients into food processor (not sure why it has to be a food processor but that seems to be the only thing that works for this thick frosting/fudge). Process until thick frosting mixture is reached.


0 comments:

Post a Comment