Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kalua Pork

Mainland Kalua Pork:
When I found out that you could recreate Kalua Pork in a Crockpot I fell in love with my Crockpot all over again. I grew up really embracing and prideful of my Hawaiian heritage and wanted to learn everything I could about it. However, growing up in the north suburbs of Atlanta, your access to the lush vegetation, crops, cuisine, or even culture is extremely limited. Thank goodness for the world wide web!
After much research, sifting through, and experimenting with many recipes I believe I have finally gotten this recipe the closest I can to that of the traditional imu style pig. On a sidenote, if you grew up on this or have a cultured palate for it I can promise you now that this will only tease you to get the real thing. So in that case I would honestly suggest building an imu in your back yard. :)
Here's how I make my Kalua Pig

  • 3 pounds Boston Butt (picnic roast, or pork shoulder will do) well marbled with fat
  • 3 tbsp. Liquid Smoke (Hickory for stronger flavor or Mesquite for milder) I use a combo of both
  • 3 tbsp. Kosher salt (Hawaiian Salt if you can get it)
  • Small head of cabbage sliced into long strips

  1. I first line my Crockpot with a liner just for easy clean up afterwards. Then I place the roast inside the Crockpot and measure out the liquid smoke and pour over top. There's no need to be pretty it just needs to get into the pot. Next I measure out the salt and sprinkle over roast.
  2. Next, fill the Crockpot with water to cover the roast. A rule of thumb I have found to work is the weight of the roast in pounds is equal to the salt and liquid smoke. For i.e. 6# roast would require 6 tbs of smoke and salt, and water to fill.
  3. Once you have filled with water you can place the Crockpot on Low for 8-10 hours (I usually do 9) or Low for 4-6 hours. Another tip I have noticed is with larger roast you may want to flip the roast at the halfway mark. I have cooked it with and without flipping, and both come out just as succulent. Leaving the roast on one side can make that side less juicier than the top of the roast; but the great thing about Kalua pork is when you shred it it all mixes together so it doesn't matter!
  4. About 10-15 minutes before the roast is done, I place the sliced cabbage into the Crockpot (we like our cabbage with a little crunch, just leave the cabbage in, until its done to your liking).
  5. Take the roast out and shred with a fork, it should fall apart. I then use a slotted spoon to get the cabbage and mix in with the pork. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment