Monday, October 15, 2012

Meatloaf Everyone Will Eat

Every time I serve this dish I get asked for the recipe (and most frequently from people who usually don't eat meatloaf) so here it is for every meatloaf and non-meatloaf eater out there. This meatloaf is truly that, a loaf of meat- there is no ketchup (at least not in it), no celery or tomatoes, just a juicy flavorful meatloaf. I grew up mostly eating Asian cuisines so when my mom would cook spaghetti, pot roast, corn beef, or even meatloaf; it was a rare enough  dinner that they would get devoured in no time. :)  Meat loaf, mashed potatoes and corn became an all time favorite of mine. However, when I started cooking for my husband he very quickly informed me that he highly disliked meatloaf; this coming from a man who can willingly eat a MRE (Meals Ready to Eat- basically a meal in a bag that our soldiers can eat whenever they can't get to a chow hall or chow can't be brought to them; i.e. out in the field on missions). After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I proceed to ask him what kind of meatloaf he grew up eating. His was one like many others I had eaten at friends houses growing up. There was Ketchup baked inside and smothered on top, along with peppers, onions, and sometimes celery and/or tomatoes. I have to admit, I hated vegetables growing up, so maybe that is why my mom made her meatloaf  this way; but even so, now that I do eat vegetables, I prefer them on the side rather than in the loaf itself. I am happy to say that after trying the loaf, the Hubby quickly retracted the 'no meatloaf clause' to our menu and it has now become a weekly staple.
  • 2 pounds of meat (I use the leanest meat I can find)
  • 1 packet of Beefy Onion soup mix (two if you like lots of onions)
  • 2 pieces of bread (cubed- I use wheat but any kind you have will do)
  • 2 eggs
  • Garlic 
  • Worcestershire Sauce (I use French's extra tenderizing)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place meat into mixing bowl and add cubed bread, packet of beefy onion, both eggs.
  3. Mix ingredients very well and then season with garlic and Worcestershire until fragrant or to your own palates content.
  4. Next pack into a loaf pan and cook for 1 hour and 15 min. 
*if you want to make this a freezer meal you can wrap in tinfoil and freeze for at least one day allowing the loaf to hold form so you can have the loaf pan for other baking recipes.


1 comments:

I will have to try this. It looks much more juicier than my meatloaf. I love the idea of the make ahead meals for when you are in a hurry. Will let you know how it turns out.

Post a Comment