Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hawaiian Mac Salad

This staple in the islands and is made unlike any other macaroni salad I have ever had; and served with just about every meal, especially at lunch time. The overly fat noodles are of the utmost importance in this recipe and the creamy mayo mixture, spiced with your basic salt and pepper is a great base for a noodle salad  that you can jazz up any way your stomach desires.

  • 1 pound of elbow noodles 
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrots
  • 1-2 cups of best foods mayo* (Hellman's will work also)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
  • salt
  • 3-5 green onions
  • pepper
  • cider vinegar (for a tang)
* Unfortunately, I have yet to find a place that sells Best Foods Mayo but is made under the Hellman's brand and that's what I usually buy any way.

  1. Prepare the noodles according to the box, except for the time, Hawaiian like their noodle's like they like their women, Thick :). So over cook the noodles till they are nice and thick. Drain the noodles* and rinse with cold water and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
    1. * I have heard mixed reviews about using the cider vinegar and believe me every time I have used it I always tell myself I will never do it again- because the smell is so nauseating. But to be truthful, every time I have used it, it does give the zing that the island salad has. 
    2. So if you are willing to be daring enough, or just like vinegar; once you drain the noodles, pour the vinegar over noodle and let soak in. (I'm not a huge vinegar fan so I leave my noodles in the colander and pour the vinegar over while I am stirring the noodle). I then rinse the noodles and let cool for 10-15 min like listed above.
  2. While that is cooling you can chop up your carrots, onions, and any other foods that you want in the salad (peas, celery, potatoes, eggs, etc).
  3. Now to make your "dressing". In a small bowl combine half of your mayo and half of your milk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk together (make sure you taste this mixture and make it too your liking, most people I know use closer to 2 cups of mayo and an equal ration of milk- but once again it is personal preference. Once your noodles are cool and you have added your vegetables; pour your dressing over the salad and mix together.
  4. Place into the refrigerator and let cool. Just before serving add the remainder of mayo. Mix well and there you have it. 
'Ono 'Ono Macaroni Salad!!

1 comments:

Wow I never thought of adding milk to make it creamier.

Post a Comment