Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hawaiian Luau brought to the East Coast

Ok, so I can't promise a boar of this size or really any wild boar at all,  nor can I promise that half naked, gorgeously tan, sculpted Hawaiian men will be delivering your "ono-licious" food ('ono means good to eat, yummy, delicious in Hawaiian). But what I can say is, that this meal will have your guest and family talking and begging for seconds. A traditional pork plate in Hawai'i consist of Kalua pork and Cabbage served with scoops of rice and a scoop or two of traditional island style macaroni; and if you are really into getting the full experience and a huge hearty meal, you can have a side of Poi, Long rice, Lau Lau, and (my hubby's favorite) Lomi Salmon.

 This is what a traditional combination plate lunch looks like- no fancy plates, just a Styrofoam plate filled to the max with 'ono 'ono food! pictured above (starting from the top left clockwise) Poi, Poke, Kalua pork, Lau Lau, Chicken Long Rice and Lomi salmon.
My luaus don't look like this unless I am truly cooking a feast, the traditional luau. Not to mention, I have yet to find a place to make a copy cat lau lau (but don't worry I will figure it out). A common Hawaiian meal in my household consist of the common basics I listed above, Kalua pork and Cabbage, Lomi Salmon, and Macaroni Salad.... well and of course some dessert. (pictured here is Pumpkin Brownies recipe to come later)

1 comments:

Makes me want to go back to Hawaii. I will have to try this recipe

Post a Comment