Saturday, October 20, 2012

Have an empty wall and don't know what to do... Here's what I did


When my husband and I moved in to our first house it was a ranch-style townhouse that had vaulted ceilings and huge bare walls. With him coming from the barracks on post and me, from my parents; we knew that we   wouldn't have a lot of furniture and decor for our first place and would need to find items and ideas that would make the dollar stretch. I had always wanted a gallery in our home and now that we finally had the space to do it i was so excited. Galleries can be done in many different ways, colors and designs- you can have as little as 3 pictures to as many as 33, black and white photos or color, same frames or different frames. The beauty of it all is that you can design it any way you like. 

For me, the logistics of  the design itself was fairly easy, my decor tastes is pretty simplistic with just a slight touch of femininity. (I enjoy a contemporary feel with infusions of Asian/Hawaiian and Traditional pieces; I'm that person who likes earthy colors with pops of accent colors.) I found the hardest part to be picking the actual pictures that would go into the gallery- to be honest, I am sort of a picture-aholic and if I could I would have a huge wall gallery in every room (but I know better- that would just be crazy). 

In the townhouse the shape of our gallery sort of looked like a megaphone; it had a slight incline to match that of the ceiling. (Please excuse the small print-out pictures I taped on the frames- my husband is a very visual person.)

In our current home, the dining room wall was the wall I chose to house our gallery. This is the before and after:







As I said earlier, picking the pictures to go in the frames was the absolute hardest part for me- so there was definitely a lot of pressure for the centerpiece frame. For a long time I had a family portrait as the center and it looked nice, but that's it just nice- not to mention normal. Nice and normal aren't really me. So after brainstorming with my Bestie we came up with a monogram idea, made of a letter spray painted to match the color of the frame, and the background is made of card stock (mine has a real photo of sliced logs printed onto it, which surprisingly had almost every color in our walls and furniture; not to mention the earthy theme). we then found the wood words at Michael's and spray painted them a cream color.


0 comments:

Post a Comment